Resilience

Resilient.

If you're on this journey, I'm going to go ahead and make the assumption this word describes you and your child(ren).

As a parent, you are your child's biggest advocate.  If you've been knocked down, it is so important to get back up.  You are the "expert" and know your child better than anyone else on this planet.  If your parent intuition is telling you your child's needs aren't being met at school, do your homework, present your case to your child's team, and do not accept, "No."

We're on our 4th year of public schooling with our 1st grade son.  We've gone round and round about so many things over the course of those four years, but no matter how many times people have disagreed with me or told me, "No," I simply won't give up.

If we backtrack two years, to the first time I requested our son have an evaluation, I was told by his principal, "There is nothing wrong with him.  He's a normal 5-year-old boy.  He gives me hugs!"  

Well, that "normal" 5-year-old boy has been diagnosed with Tourette Syndrome, ADHD, anxiety, and executive functioning deficits.  He also demonstrates characteristics of OCD and dysgraphia, as well as social skill deficits.  

Huh.  Can you imagine where we'd be today if I took her at her word?



Tourette Syndrome is NOT a well understood disorder.  It is complicated and messy and confusing for all of those who work with our children, but that does not give anyone permission to throw their hands in the air, slap an inappropriate label on them, and shuffle them off to a special classroom.

My advice to you?  Do not give in, do not give up, educate, and empower.  

I've spent hours upon hours reading and researching this disorder and the comorbids that accompany it.  Websites, research articles, books...you name it, I've probably read it.  I can assure you no one on my son's team understands the complexity of this disorder more than I.  Honestly, I really don't expect them to.  He is one in a sea of many in the school.

You know what I do expect?  I expect all of my son's needs to be identified and addressed.  I expect to be heard and when they don't have an answer, the expertise, or understand what I'm talking about.  I want them to own up to that, review the information I have provided for them, and return to the table when they feel they have an understanding of the concern(s) and a plan to address them.

I simply will not give up.  I am resilient and my son deserves to be understood, encouraged, and empowered.  He needs to have appropriate accommodations, supports, and expectations.  He is a tiny human and the possibilities for his future are endless.

I've been knocked down.  I get back up.  I keep fighting and I am certain one day it will pay off immensely for not only our son, but others who are misunderstood as well.

It's not always easy, but you have to keep at it.  Do not be silenced.  Get back up.  Be resilient.  Persevere.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IEP Eligibility Meeting Part 2

Understanding the Laws: IDEA, 504, ADA